Windows Shell Extension for Krita Files

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:07:23 UTC 2016

Hi, Alvin!

Thank you for your work! :) We will surely try to embed it into Krita 3.0.

You should talk about it to Boudewijn Rempt. He knows everything about
release packaging. But he is returning from his vacation on 3rd-5th of
March.

I have only three notes/questions:

1) In your github repository I see three precompiled binary libraries. Is
it possible to embed their sources? krita.git will not be able to accept
them without sources. (I can believe that using Qt or KDE libs for the
previewer might be not desirable from the performance pov)

2) We have a feature freeze on the 23rd of March. So it is highly desirable
to make it merged before that date. It is better to limit the number of
features, like make it show thumbnail only, but finish the merge by the
date :)

3) We have a strings freeze on the 30th of March. Starting with that date
our translators team starts translating the GUI. So if the extension has
its own strings (has it?), it is preferably to get it localized before the
date.

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 6:53 PM, Alvin Wong <alvinhochun+krita at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am making a Windows Explorer shell extension for Krita files, which
> I hope would eventually be good enough to be included in the Krita for
> Windows installer starting from 3.x releases.
>
> For those who are not familiar with Windows (and actually, I'm not
> really,) shell extensions provides various information that the shell
> (aka Explorer) and other progams can use to present to users. Typical
> examples include: file thumbnails, previews, metadata (properties),
> dynamically-selected file icons, context menus.
>
> In the shell extension that I am working on, I plan to include support
> for at least (but not limited to) file thumbnails, properties and
> icons. Here I'll try to list out what they could do:
>
> - File thumbnails: Providing thumbnails for Krita files, obviously.
> - Properties: Information like image dimensions and colour depth can
> be extracted from the file for Explorer to display them in file
> tooltip (InfoTip), the preview details pane, as a column in details
> view, and so on. It could also possibly be used by Windows Search,
> although I haven't investigated this yet.
> - Icons: It could provide different icons with a badge representing
> different colour depths, or whether a file has animations in it, for
> example.
>
> I already have one with a working thumbnail provider. You can check it
> here: https://github.com/alvinhochun/KritaShellExtension  I've only
> tested it on my only Windows 7 64-bit environment by the way, so any
> testing on any other systems would be appreciated.
>
> I'll be looking forward to your comments!
>
> All the best,
>
> Alvin Wong

Dmitry Kazakov