report about share.krita.org

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Jun 28 18:23:59 UTC 2016

Hi!

We've been discussing the need for a kind of store/sharing website where people
can share and maybe even sell resources like bundles or templates for some
time now. We got a bit closer this week.

There used to be GHNS (Get Hot New Stuff) and Krita used to have GHNS
integration. However, we did not have access to the backend of the
opendesktop website, couldn't curate our store or manage the community.

Recently, the opendesktop family of websites changed hands, and we visited the
new owner in Bielefeld last Sunday. That's me and Wolthera. We discussed a number
of things:

* An app store where people can download appimages of Linux applications

(And maybe later windows, OSX and other versions). This would tie in to a CI
system so we could get builds at the press of a button. Krita would be a sort
of testcase of this system. Lots of pieces are in place, but neither the app
store nor the final stages of CI that would generate installable artefacts are
there yet. The desire to get there is clear, though.

* share.krita.org.

A specialized opendesktop-based sharing website. There is a prototype running
which can be customized to a limited extent (logo, colors, categories of
shareable resources). The domain name and the test website are linked up,
but it's still showing old and irrelevant content.

For share.krita.org, we've got to go through a bunch of iterations to get to
something really cool:

1. Attica/GHNS: the GHNS KF5 framework is Tier 3, so we cannot use it. Dan
Leinir is working on splitting it up in a Tier 2 core framework and a Tier 3
UI framework, though. When that is nearing completion we can...

2. Start re-integrating GHNS in Krita. For 3.0, we removed all that code,
and we cannot just revert that because we'll likely have to do the gui on our
own.

3. (Parellel to 1 and 2). Build up a new website for sharing. The prototype
is already more extensive than what used to be available, it's possible for
instance for people to donate to the resource creators already.

For now, I've defined the following categories of resources that can be shared:

 * bundles
 * templates
 * python plugins
 * python scripts
 * artwork and tutorials

4. The website should be developed further, so people can use it as a content
publication platform; there should be collaboration features, too, imo. It
should also become possible to put resources up for sale, not just give away
+ donations asked.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org