Question about debugging info for AppImage and Snap

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 12:13:12 UTC 2016

> > 2) If not, why don't we build a dbg-enabled version of the package? I
> don't
> > think it is too difficult. It might be done from the same build tree from
> > the same script, just skipping/packaging before the stripping phase. Can
> we
> > correct our scripts to produce that?
>
> Yes, that's possible. The package would be really big, and files.kde.org
> is
> already groaning under the strain of all the packages we do, so I would do
> this for specific investigations instead of as a matter of course.
>
> I haven't tried getting a backtrace from a package with debug symbols yet.

How about having the the backtrace-enabled package for the latest build
only? Like having 'krita3-current.appimage' and
'krita3-dbg-current.appimage'? That would solve both problems, the amount
of space occupied on the depot and the presence at least of one testing
package for everyone. The dbg version could be updated in the same way as I
do for translations tarball.

> > 3) What is the status of debugging info for the snap packages? Do they
> > support that? If yes can we use them for testing the bugreports?
>
> No idea at all. Well, that's not quite true. I know that snap got a lot of
> flak because their libreoffice snap was soooooo big, but that included the
> debug symbols, too: http://lwn.net/Articles/691309/#Comments

I guess we should ask Michael about that...

--
Dmitry Kazakov