Question about debugging info for AppImage and Snap

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 08:08:23 UTC 2016

Hi, all!

Recently I got quite a few requests about Krita hanging-up on Ubuntu 14.04.
Ane the biggest problem for me is that I cannot get a proper backtrace from
the users. And what is more, if I decide to reproduce the bug in a virtual
machine, I will have to build Krita and most of the dependencies (Qt + KF5)
myself manually, which is from 3 to 4 hours of my work. If we need to build
everything on each type of the supported system just for the sake of
reproducing a bug, it is really a waste of time... So I have a few
questions:

1) Is it possible to produce a separate debugging info package for the
AppImage package somehow?

2) If not, why don't we build a dbg-enabled version of the package? I don't
think it is too difficult. It might be done from the same build tree from
the same script, just skipping/packaging before the stripping phase. Can we
correct our scripts to produce that?

3) What is the status of debugging info for the snap packages? Do they
support that? If yes can we use them for testing the bugreports?

--
Dmitry Kazakov