Beginner query for contributing to Krita

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Dec 16 11:06:08 UTC 2016

Hi Nidhi,

Let's get you started. Have you already managed to build Krita? It
is possible to build Krita on Windows or OSX, but it is much more
complicated than building on Linux. For Linux, David Revoy's
guide is still the best one:

www.davidrevoy.com/article193/guide-building-krita-on-linux-for-cats

For Windows and OSX, you can start here:

https://phabricator.kde.org/source/krita/browse/master/3rdparty/README.md

You will probably need help if you follow that route, because it _is_
a lot of work.

Please join us on irc, #krita on freenode, and just stay around so
you can get familiar with the community.

As you say, Krita is a big project, and it can be daunting to get started.
It helps if Krita is also something you want to use yourself, so you
can figure out where things are missing. It might be the best idea to
browse the wishes on bugzilla to see what appeals to you:

https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?bug_severity=wishlist&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&list_id=1408828&product=krita&query_format=advanced

Depending on what interests you most, you can implement new algorithms,
or work on gui features. If you're interested in animation, check for
wishes reported by Bollebib, there are quite a few, and he's almost
always on irc if you need help figuring out what he wants :-)

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org