Krita 3.0.1 Release Process

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Aug 18 11:17:46 UTC 2016

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:

I was surprised to read on irc that I apparently still have
to make a decision about using Trello or not. I would have
assumed my last mail was clear enough, but in case it wasn't:

No, we will not use Trello this release cycle. We will do this
release cycle like we agreed upon on July 18th, as documented
originally in this google doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wFfOD8ce-8MD8tYD8FrXIgVLJwkXtMSEHi_IPQ0yMGI/edit

Which contains the notes we made during that meeting.

After the release we can discuss whether we need improvements
or whether everything went fine. When it comes to planning,
there are absolutely no surprises:

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=pv232t7pu0acstl5c64357mlo4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/Amsterdam

Making dev builds during the stabilization phase happens whenever
I or someone else has time for it. I tend to do those in the
weekends and try to release on Monday. Those are not really
releases, though for clarities' sake, I might call them alpha's
or beta's. But they come out whenever I have time or energy.

I would like to remind everyone that

a) we made 12 2.9 releases and that went almost always completely
fine, with very minor hickups.

b) nothing major went "wrong" that merited all the stress.

c) because we release often we can afford to be less stressed
about releases. If something slips through, take a deep breath,
it's not the end of the world and not a reason to stress out. It
can be fixed in the next release, and in the meantime we get
used again to frequent releases and things will keep going
smoother.

d) In contrast to 3.0, where we actually didn't even have a
source release, we will have that for 3.0.1 -- that's something
to be happy about! The source tarballs will also contain the
latest transslations automatically, and we'll build the binaries
from the source tarballs -- which is a major step because before
they were made from git.

Finally, I have been home sick for nearly two months now. Burn-out
is a serious condition and I can do with a lot less stress. Stress
happens not because I have something that needs to be done, it happens
when someone decides that I need to do something, or need to do
something in a different way. That needs to be avoided.

I hope that this is clear.
--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org