Krita 3.0.1 Release Process

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Aug 14 18:36:20 UTC 2016

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016, Alexander Potashev wrote:

> You are right about the notification email:
>  1. It hasn't been sent into kde-i18n-doc mailing list,

Well, that is a good point: however, when we discussed the notification
system for the new release schedule, that never was mentioned. We can
do that in the future. It's not an indication of irreparable failure of
the current release process. Just a bit of a learning moment.

Plus, it really _is_ up to the translation community to communicate
with _us_ and tell us what they need. We cannot, and that is an absolute
_cannot_ as in physically _cannot_ do that. You need something from me,
you educate me and help me do what you want me to do . I have been at
home, without any income because of a burn-out, and the same goes for
other people in our community.

Krita is important, and I expect everyone involved, including the
translators to be pro-active and help out.

>  2. It did not mention the SVN branch one should translate in, IOW
> "what they [translators] should do".

I have, personally, no idea about that, and I do not want to know. That
bit of technical stuff is up to the translation teams. I cannot handle
that, I am already handling more stuff than is humanly possible, and I
am not the only one. When I read Luigi's mail, I was satisfied that things
were going to be all right.

To be honest, I think KDE's translation system is broken. Translations
should be right there in the Krita git repo. End of confusion.

> Another thing missing is a notification for I18n coordinators (e.g.
> Luigi Toscano) in kde-i18n-doc that you (Krita) are going to switch
> Git branches available for translation, so that they assign Git
> branches to the right i18n branches in SVN and move/delete the
> existing translations if necessary.

Check the archive for this mailing list, that was discussed, and to quote from
Luigi's mail:

"Translations from the master branch are still tracked into our
trunk/l10n-kf5 branches. You just need to get the translations from them.
I guess that there won't be stable branches anymore and you will release
from master and get translations from the corresponding trunk5 branch,
is it correct?

On our side, we will just remove the krita translations from
branches/stable/ l10n-kf5."

That sounds like everything is fine to me; there might be a misunderstanding,
or something might not have happened yet, but IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD,
PEOPLE.

Sorry for shouting, but I think that's the only way I might get heard.

> From what I have understood, the
> Krita project now maintains only one master branch (like KDE
> Frameworks does), thus a reasonable request to i18n coordinators would
> be to delete Krita translations from branches/stable/l10n-kf5/ and
> configure extraction from krita.git's branch master into
> trunk/l10n-kf5/.

And _WHO_ should make that request? The developers who do not know
how translators work, or the translators, who do not follow development?
Or, like, was the discussion we had earlier, in that thread I already
referenced not exactly what you're asking for? Because that mentioned
deleting something from a stable branch, and that it would be done.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org