Building current master on Kubuntu 15.04

Wolthera griffinvalley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 20:48:02 UTC 2015

Hey guys,

As you may know, current master contains the QT5 port. This means that
things change with building, mostly a host of new dependencies and a whole
lot of outdated ones.

First off, unless you want to go through the misery of compiling frameworks
and qt5, try getting an Ubuntu system 15.04 and up, such as in my case
Kubuntu 15.04.

So, here's some details: To get Krita 3.0 up and running รก la cats guide, I
had to install the following:

sudo apt-get install extra-cmake-modules

sudo apt-get install libkf5archive-dev libkf5codecs-dev libkf5codecs-dev
libkf5coreaddons-dev libkf5guiaddons-dev libkf5itemmodels-dev
libkf5itemviews-dev libkf5widgetsaddons-dev libkf5threadweaver-dev
libkf5completion-dev libkf5iconthemes-dev libkf5sonnet-dev libkf5parts-dev
libkf5xmlgui-dev libkf5notifyconfig-dev libkf5khtml-dev libkf5texteditor-dev
libkf5kdelibs4support-dev libkf5krosscore5 libkf5kiocore5
libkf5activities-dev kross-dev
libqt5svg5-dev libqt5declarative5 libqt5x11extras5-dev libqt5webkit5-dev

This was on top of the dependencies listed here:

https://community.kde.org/Calligra/Building#Distribution_Specific_Instructions

All in all, I probably installed one dependency too many, but it works(feel
free to try and strip this down).

My cmake string was simply:
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/kf5/inst $HOME/kf5/src/calligra
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo -DPRODUCTSET=CREATIVE

Then, the export variables(I installed in kf5 instead of kde4):

export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$HOME/kf5/inst/share:$XDG_DATA_DIRS:/usr/share
export KDEDIRS=$HOME/kf5/inst:$KDEDIRS
export PATH=$HOME/kf5/inst/bin:$PATH

Now, this is a little different from Krita 2.9 and boud's script in that
boud has a seperate directory for the config for his deleting pleasure,
while Krita 3.0 vanilla is probably going to be following the rest of KDE
applications in putting the config(the kritarc) in $HOME/.config and the
resources under $HOME/.local/share/krita(so .kde is going to dissapear in
the future)

So what is the state of 3.0 from a set of fresh eyes?

* Tablet support is wonky. This is due to QT5's new way of handling input
events, but Boudewijn, Dmitry and Mike have been chugging away at several
solutions on phabricator: https://phabricator.kde.org/T530

* Drawing has an offset. This is, coincidentally(no not at all actually),
the same kind of offset that the canvas viewport has from to top-left
corner of the screen(caused by the titlebar, the toolbox, etc). What this
means is that the little coordinate shuffle we do to get Krita to paint the
dab right under the cursor coordinates got mixed up somewhere along the
line.

* Little crashes everywhere. The scariest being the auto-save crash, but
there's also crashes with OpenGL in somewhat random places. Again, there
seems to be a patch in the making on phabricator for this.

All in all, it's still a place for the adventurous rather than the meek,
but I wanted to share my building experience with you.

--
Wolthera