Preset widgets refactoring

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Sep 3 08:47:12 UTC 2015

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015, Stefano Bonicatti wrote:

> So in the end, as i said, back to the drawing board, listing all the classes involved, what they are supposed
> to do and have to do, drawing the interactions and unravel them since there are a lot of things that have to be
> streamlined and should have a somewhat fixed order of execution (especially needed with GUI interaction).
> I think that the bigger refactoring cannot be avoided.

I do agree with that... The thing is, a preset is two things at the moments: it's a loadable,
savable, editable aggregate of brush settings, but it's _also_ the current state of the active
brush engine. And that gets changed through all the controls the user has over current opacity,
current brush size and so on.

Then there is the widget/data model confusion. We have this all over Calligra, actually, where
around 2006 we decided to to couple the gui for a plugin with its data model. You find that in
tools, in filters, in brush engines.

Boudewijn