plugin or filter distribution, resynthesizer

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Oct 19 13:26:21 UTC 2015

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015, lloyd konneker wrote:

> I maintain the resynthesizer plugin for GIMP.  I am exploring porting it to Krita.  I haven’t spent much time exploring.  I searched for “KDE GIMP / resynthesizer”, found a few feature request issues, and studied Krita briefly.
>
> A prior post said the ‘invert’ filter was a good example, but I can’t find it on GitHub.  What is the currently recommended example?

It's in krita/plugins/filters/example.

> The resynthesizer is buildable as a library, independent of the app, the crux of the algorithm.  How would that be distributable with Krita?  Would all the source for the library need to go into the Krita repository?  It seems like at least the wrapper code would need to go into the Krita repository.

Well, it depends: if the resynthesizer is released as a library so it can be packaged by distributions, we can just re-use that. If not, we might have to maintain a copy.

> Assuming the library source code would need to go into Krita, what are coding standards Krita would require?  Resynthesizer is outside of official GIMP mostly because, while it is solid, readable C code, it does not meet GIMP coding standards e.g. naming and indentation.

For 3rd-party libraries that we copy, like g'mic, coding standards aren't important. Keeping as little difference from upstream as possible is.

> It seems like Krita plugins are not pluggable in the sense that third parties can distribute them?

Well, that is theoretically possible, but at the moment all plugins are developed in-tree, and we don't even install header files right now.