About automatic disable of LoD mode when the brushes are very small

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 09:17:51 UTC 2015

Hi, all!

Yesterday on IRC Raghavendra suggested quite an interesting idea about the
optimization of the Instant Preview mode. The idea sounded like that:

"What if we automatically disable Instant Preview for the brushes when they
are small enough to be painted without LoD, directly on the canvas. This
would prevent quite a noisy flickering on the canvas, when the update it
finished."

I though about it. Technically, I can implement this this feature. It is
possible to switch off LoD almost on the fly. But the main question is the
following:

"How would we decide if the brush is slow or fast?"

At the moment we cannot know if the brush is slow or fast without running
the stroke. And if we have already started the LoD stroke, we cannot switch
it to original one seamlessly. The original stroke should start from the
very beginning. So how should we know if LoD should be activated for this
particular preset or not?

Basically, the user already has an option to choose whether the preset
should be run in LoD or not [0]. Should we do any automatic helping for him?

[0] - https://userbase.kde.org/Krita/Manual/BrushEngines/InstantPreview

PS:
This letter is more like a heap of thoughts, so any comments are welcome! :)

--
Dmitry Kazakov