2015 funding thoughts

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 18:28:01 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 October 2014 Oct 19:22:03 Sven Langkamp wrote:
>
> > That's sad, although I already feared that it would happen. I assume that
> > KO also will be getting out of the remaining Calligra too (not that much
> > anyway), right? Paying to you and Dmitry it certainly going to be hard.
>
> But not impossible, I hope...
>
> > Any estimates for the subscriptions?
>
> Not yet. Right now, the development fund is only about a hundred euros a
> month...
>
> > I think the animation support needs at least three months to fix the
> > remaining issues and integrate into the main application. The additions
> for
> > that project would be another 3-4 months.
>
> Hm... So much? That's going to have to be compressed a lot :-(

Ok, maybe not that much. It depends how much functionality should make it
into the first version.
The biggest things that come to mind are:
- animation branch needs to be merged (ideally so that we only have one
document class and an animation would just be a Krita image with an
animation layer)
- undo needs to be fixed
- fix onion skinning
- better interaction with the timeline

> > Another big item is port to Qt 5 which should also happen in 2015. That
> > should take not that much time, but also needs to be scheduled carefully.
> >

> Yes. At the calligra sprint we discussed that, too, and planned to do that
> immediately after the 2.9 release. A straight port first, run all the
> scripts, make sure everything builds, then disable all applications from
> compilation, then let the maintainers (if any) re-enable their applications
> when they start porting the applications properly. It should lead to a 3.0
> in about three months, in my estimation. I'm also guessing it will lead to
> shedding a lot of dead wood in calligra.

So mvc merge would happen between 2.9 and 3.0?