regressions transform tool

Timothée Giet animtim at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 16:55:52 UTC 2014

Le 12/11/2014 14:00, Scott Petrovic a écrit :
> Thanks for checking that out Tim. Just to keep this conversation in
> scope for everyone, we are referring to the scale and position sliders
> for the free transform tool.
>
> For the position that I updated based off our conversation, it does
> not use relative position. It still uses absolute position x/y values.
> It just calculates the minimum and maximum values for the slider after
> it knows what the current position is. It uses the current position as
> the center. This concept might be too clever for people to figure out
> if it it doesn't make sense. Position would probably be better as a
> numeric input.

Ha right it's still use absolute position, but the slider limit is just
too small.. or better it shouldn't have a limit at all, as before. So
yep probably better to revert those and the scale ones to simple numeric
input.

> The scale maybe the same. You mentioned the use case of flipping the
> selection horizontally or vertically (-100%). That seems nice. Maybe
> we could even add a couple buttons next to the scale inputs to
> automatically do that. That seems somewhat common and would eliminate
> typing.

Having some little buttons to auto-set it to -100% horizontally or
vertically would be useful for this one common case, but can't replace
freedom to set any value manually.

> Technically we can do whatever, but I think it would be the best to
> design things around the most common use cases for inputs. When
> painting, when is exact pixel control important? I never use the
> position and scale sliders because I have never had a use for them
> while painting. I always think visually while painting, so I always
> use the handles for everything.

For reference, this can be needed when doing any work having specific
requirements to place things at exact position (like doing a composition
for a print work, or making consecutive tweaks on a frame sequence..)

Timo