About Master Brush

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Jul 11 09:00:09 UTC 2014

Hi Mohit,

Sorry for not having seen your mail earlier -- the kickstarter made life rather busy.

It would be good to canvas the opinion of artists, but here are my thoughts:

* the main thing that makes a brush engine unique is the actual brush painting code -- whether it's a stamp like the pixel brush, brush hairs or shapes.
* all the other things are options -- some brushes already have all the options, others only a subset.

It's not going to work to have all the various painting algorithms in one brush engine. The thing to do is, I think, first create the template mechanism: save the brush options and load them into another brush, that can then re-use the options it recognizes, and discard the ones it doesn't have.

The next step would be to think which options are missing in which engines and whether they make sense there.

Then, instead of creating a new brush engine, I'd start implementing a smudge option that would work with the existing brush engines, instead of being a separate brush engine. It would be pretty cool to be able to smudge with the experiment or grid brush...

Together, I think this would implement what bollebib asked for.

I've cc'ed the mailing list, since others might have more input.