Roadmap discussion for 2.9 and 3.0

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Fri Feb 21 22:10:33 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Regarding the plans for Krita (2.9 and 3.0) I am wondering how difficult would be to have a portable version (for Windows)?

In essence, you should only need to download a zip file (7zip or whatever) and you might unzip it on your location (folder): that's it :-)
By doing so, you might even start Krita from your usb pendrive :-)
No more folders scattered on your system (e.g. %AppData%)

More precisely, I am thinking about a 64 bit portable version (not a 32 bit one).
Nowdays, IMHO, whenever it is possible, it does not make much sense to use a 32 bit version...

Gimp has already this option. At present, you can download portables versions both from the stable [1] and unstable versions [2].
BTW, another interesting open source software (QT 5.2) is Shotcut [3] which sports the portable option as default (both on Windows and Linux).

Needless to say, IMHO, this option has a lower priority compared to the other ones...
Improving the shortcuts backend would be extremely cool for instance.
As you know, with Gimp, you can download a text file (ps-menurc) with all Photoshop shortcuts and adopt it as your default option.

Best regards,

Silvio

[1] http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/gimp_portable
[2] http://nightly.darkrefraction.com/gimp/
[3] http://www.shotcut.org/

Il Venerdì 21 Febbraio 2014 21:21, Paul Geraskin <paulgeraskin at gmail.com> ha scritto:

For 2.9 i would like to add:
>- LayerGroups for PSD files (save/load). This is the most
      important thing. This will be better integration between
      PS/Painter/SAI and Krita.
>- Possibility to draw on FileLayer and save it. This will be
      integration between Blender and Krita. In this way we can exchange
      layers between the apps.

>These are the most important features.
>And ofcourse "Line quality" as already Boud mentioned. We need the
      same lines quality as PS/Gimp have. To get our brushes scalable.

>Thanks.
>

>21.02.2014 21:02, Sven Langkamp пишет:
>
>On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
>>
>>Krita Roadmap
>>>-------------
>>>
>>>2.8 will be awesome, but after 2.8 comes 2.9...
>>>
>>>During the 2.8 beta phase, we've been lucky to have had a
              lot of input on areas where Krita should be better. The
              main areas are:

>>>* MDI interface (more than one document loaded in one
              window)

>>I would give this the top priority, because it's the single feature that has be merged before we go to 3.0 and will likely also need a lot of work.
>>
>>* Mask handling: creating and converting masks is not as easy as it should be.
>>>
>>>* Selection handling: modifying selections is really
              inconvenient at the moment

>>>* Line quality: we should try and figure out how better
              anti-alias especially thin lines. This wasn't a problem
              before because our display quality wasn't very good, but
              since that's excellent now, it is a problem

>>>* Performance of the color correction system: the final
              conversion step for display is now holding us back. We
              might be able to move that to the GPU as well, for the
              OpenGL canvas

>>Have you measured the impact of that? I have seen many comments about bad performance recently. Users expect fast painting with the biggest brush on a 10k x 10k image.
>>
>>* Text and vector tools. We share these with Calligra. The current system is a hybrid of ODT, ODG and SVG. Creating and manipulating text is difficult, the difference between the two text tools is hard to explain, and finally, the results aren't good and we cannot save all features the gui offers.
>>>

>>That's a very tricky problem. I know that the current system has a lot of shortcoming, but there is currently no good alternative for it. We have to keep backwards compatibility, so we can't throw it out. The problem with the text are more related to bugs in the text tools rather than the fileformat (the shadow problem is too). Even if we throw it out, it would take months to replace the text tools alone and years if you want to reach the capabilities of other applications.
>>

>>In any case the text shapes and text tools would have to be replace, if you want to store as SVG we would likely need massive changes in Flake too. We have seriously question is that is really a justified change, considering how much effort would have to be dumped into it.
>>

>>* The dirty brush proposal and related preset handling issues
>>>
>>>This is obviously already more than we can handle in one
              release period, so we need to prioritize. Also, I might
              have forgotten a topic that is more important than any of
              these!

>>>Then there is the roadmap towards 3.0. 3.0 should be our
              Qt5 release, which means no refactoring, just porting. For
              that to be as smooth as possible, at least the MDI
              refactoring should have landed, and any other big
              refactorings that influence which dependencies we have.