Krita shared pointers usage

Stefano Bonicatti smjert at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 20:03:15 UTC 2014

> Oh sure, and we've tried to start documentation a lot of times. The big
> problem is that architecture changes, and often quite quickly, and then the
> documentation becomes outdated. Of course, that's not peculiar to Krita,
> I've _never_ seen an adequately documented project.

I'm not referring specifically to Krita but it changes to have no
documentation from at least have an high level one that explains why
certain things are laid like that.
Especially when there are several layers of indirection due to design
pattern and events, where it's not that easy to track where interactions
may come from.
This is just to lower a wall that i see in every big project. One may say
that it is there to keep not very expert devs to make damage but... imho it
actually keeps away interested and capable people with not that much time
to dig the whole code and to bug the devs.

And then, there's the problem that most developers are good at coming up
> with designs but extremely bad at understanding other people;s work,
> leading to a tendency to excessive refactoring. The "I had an idea how it
> should have been done, now I'm looking a the code and it isn't done the way
> I imagined it would be done, so it must be redone."

Well i would say that this often happens exactly because they don't
understand the work and more than else why is done like that, so they think
there's a better way. If it was explained i would guess that it wouldn't be
much of a problem.

I have to say that you are very available for questions and explaining
things, but having to do this each time for everyone... wouldn't be better
to write it (kind of) once?