Future of the animation feature

Timothée Giet animtim at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 19:43:37 UTC 2014

Le 20/12/2014 20:09, Dmitry Kazakov a écrit :

> On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 10:14 PM, Jouni Pentikäinen
> <mctyyppi42 at gmail.com <mailto:mctyyppi42 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, 20 Dec 2014, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:
>
>         Before starting refactoring I would highly recommend to prepare at
>         least a draft of UML diagrams of what you are planning to achieve.
>         This way the refactoring will come faster and more successful. I
>         usually create diagrams using http://creately.com They allow
>         create
>         public diagrams and edit them collaboratively.
>

>     I made a quick draft of the different approaches discussed so far:
>
>     https://creately.com/diagram/i3x32pss1
>
>     The first one is modeled from Boud's description while the other
>     two are the models I have proposed. Let me know if I misunderstood
>     the description somehow.
>
>     I hope we can iron out the remaining issues and find a model we
>     can all agree on.
>

> For the third approach I would try to make it basing on KisGroupLayer.
> That is the class should be derived on a group layer, otherwise quite
> a lot of code (updates, drag&drop will not work for it). Probably, you
> could override the methods of KisNode, but I'm quite unsure about it.
> There are lots of complications like KisCloneLayer which could point
> to some layer that doesn't belong to current frame.
>
> So speaking truly I would first try to make purely "paintable"
> animation with KisPaintLayer only. And only then would start thinking
> about solving all these complications with animated groups. It might
> really happen that the users don't need it. I guess what then need is
> an animated paint layer + ability to change visibility and other
> properties of a all other node according to the frame number.
>
> So the list of requirements would be the following:
>
> 1) Only Paint Layer can be animated.
> 2) Other types of layers are static.
> 3) The properties of all the nodes can be saved for every node for
> every frame. E.g. "one can activate Transformation Maks for a
> particular node starting from frame X and till frame Y".

To elaborate a little my previous answer on why other kinds of layers
should be animated:

-Vector layer: very useful to have it for some anime-like tracing,
rotoscopy, ...
Should work basically as frame-per-frame (new time cell=new vectors
content).
Though at some point we could add interpolation (as long as a cell is
active and so content doesn't change, its content can be interpolated..
) Same interpolation of values could be used for filter and fill layers,
and filter and transform masks.

-File layer: could allow to load an external file sequence.. very useful
for VFX!

-Transparency mask: useful for transparency animated fx, and not so
different from paint layer..
could be done with group+alpha-disabled layers alternative method to
masking, but those used who prefer real masks will want it animated..

-Clone layer, I'm not sure yet..

Timothée