On Time and Events

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 19:29:58 UTC 2014

As I said above, system timestamps make the situation noticeably
> better (see example images, I couldn't manage to get really awful
> lines with it, so it's a better), but it's not a silver bullet and it
> needs to be complemented with proper handling of slightly off values.
>
> Besides, I don't have better arguments for this refactoring than :
> - it would de-obfuscate KisInputManager/KisToolProxy
> - having a unique consistent complete pointer event interface is
> better done early and made available to all Krita components
> - ...my guts are telling me to, and my guts never lie
>
> So yeah, it's probably not critical beyond the ease of implementing
> timestamps correctly, I just think it would help in reducing the
> unneeded complexity in several parts of the code.

Well, the timestamps are quite an expensive refactoring and you'll spend
about a month of work on it. I would look at it in the following way:

1) First do speed filtering. You need to do it anyway :)
2) Then compare the quality of the filtering with your proof of concept
timestamps patch activated and not. If the quality difference is really
worth it, we do it :) If not, we'll better spend time on something else,
e.g. on openCL support or something like that :)

> The problem is that InputManager is an event filter for *Canvas
> events*, so it only happens when your cursor interacts with the
> canvas. Reproduce these sequences with a two ended stylus :
> - Initial state : preset A
> - move cursor with stylus end to the preset box
> - flip to eraser without moving over the canvas
> - choose preset B
> --- Branch 1
> - move to canvas, draw with B
> - flip again to stylus and draw with... B ? <-- Oops, should be A
> --- Branch 2 (repeat first steps)
> - flip again to stylus without moving over the canvas
> - choose preset C
> - move to the canvas, draw with C
> - flip to eraser and draw with.... C ? <-- Oops, should be B

I got what you mean :) Yes, it is a problem, but I'm not sure the painters
face it that often.

--
Dmitry Kazakov