Windows stuff

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Feb 18 11:20:17 UTC 2013

More to make up my mind than as a call to action, here's a list of
problems I have with our current krita on windows situation...

* bugs in the input manager: strokes don't end and start with a blob. A
tabletrelease event doesn't result in a release event, it seems.

* duplicate layer: if Krita is compiled with msvc, a duplicated layer is
locked and we cannot paint on it. This is not a problem when compiling
with msvc (or icc)

* 64 bits vs 32 bits: msvc under the emerge system supports only 32 bits,
mingw supports both 64 bits and 32 bits.

* mingw makes for significantly slower performance (verified by s12a),
even compared to msvc binaries without vc

* 32 bits msvc + vc makes for unstable binaries:
13:45:51 < Vir> boud: a quick update on the Vc on Windows situation for
you: MSVC 2012 for 64-bit is ok now. All other MSVC variants miscompile
for AVX, leading to random crashes. OTOH MinGW GCC 4.7.2 (32-bit) works
fine. So if you want a 32-bit AVX binary, GCC is the compiler of choice.

* mingw + vc: calligra doesn't compile because we have undefined