PSD.rb

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Thu Aug 1 18:10:13 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

> On Wednesday 31 July 2013 Jul 13:15:03 Simon Legrand wrote:
> Not sure if you already have all heard of it, but this seems interesting.
> http://layervault.tumblr.com/post/56891876898/psd-rb

I have just downloaded the latest Krita installer for Windows [0] in order to test it with a set of PSD images (these 5 psd images are also available as jpg-png images to act as sample):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3095134/BUGS_REPORT/PSD_KRITA_PROBLEMS/PSD_KRITA_PROBLEMS.zip

On Windows 7 (64 bit),  none of these 5 images works fine with Krita 2.7.8.10_64.
In essence, they are somewhat opened. However, their colours-layers are not correct.
On the contrary, with Picasa 3.9 (build 136.20.0) - Windows 7, all of them (*except*  Usb_key image) are visualized fine.
For instance, it looks like Picasa is able to detect (and display) the right order of the layers of these psd images.
Probably it is a quite long shot, but, perhaps, there is some useful code available which one might borrow from Picasa 3.9 as well...
In the past you might run Picasa easily on Linux as well (through Wine).

P.s: IMHO, another interesting project to look at is Gimp.
This year there is a Gsoc aimed at improving the support for the Psd format [1].
Needless to say, I have tried these 5 Psd test-images with Gimp 2.8.6 but all of them do not work right now :-)

Best regards,

Silvio Grosso

[0] http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=97441&start=345
[1] http://wiki.gimp.org/index.php?title=Hacking:GSoC/2013/Ideas