Artists, which colorspaces do you use and why?

Lukast dev lukast.dev at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 09:49:35 UTC 2013

Hello guys,

yesterday I was working futher on GMIC integration and I have few
first performance numbers!

Converting 8-bit RGBA image to 32-bit float RGBA colorspace takes
around 1.7-2.0 seconds
for 1294x1674 image (KisPaintDevice::convertTo).

We could probably hide this conversion somewhere in background
before the filter dialog will be shown though, but we can't hide it on
output.

Poster edges took 5.5 seconds on that same image.

At the end on output I did not convert the layer back from Float32 to
8-bit RGBA.
That will took probably another 2 seconds.

That's quite slow experience and we will have to address this problem.

If I imagine that artists sometimes wants to filter multi-layer picture,
then
1.) we need strokes for filters!
2.) try to avoid conversions
    o gmic can work in 8-bit only for some filters
    o advice krita users to work in float32 color-space?

That's why I'm wondering on forum [1] what artists are using?
To find out If this conversion is problem or not..

Cheers
Lukas

[1] http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=110914