R: GMIC in Krita

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Sun Apr 14 07:37:14 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

About the G'MIC [0] integration into Krita, I have proposed to Lukas to follow these rules:

1)
Code a back-end which might be "easily" extended by other Krita developers in the future as well (particularly regarding the *QT 5* "upcoming" port already started by Boud).
This is the most important point for me.

2)
Try to port to Krita at least the most "important" filters for artists (even though, in the long run,  the best would be to have all of them available out of the box).
The natural goal is to get these G'MIC filters implemented which their own GUI on Krita.

To start with, I have proposed to Lukas to take into account at least these 3 filters:
- Recolorize [1]
- Poster edges[2]
- Repair [3]

Naturally, *ALL*
 suggestions by artists regarding the most G'MIC useful filters to port to Krita are more than welcome :-)
In all truth, personally I only master some of them (actually, only a few of them well...)

3) At present, there is *NO* time-frame set in stone to deliver this back-end (since this task it not easy to accomplish).
Needless to say, the sooner this happens, the better :-)

4) Regarding the option to update these filters through Internet (that is, the same feature you get with Gimp both on Linux and Windows), Lukas is going to investigate this option for Krita as well.
Nevertheless, I have suggested to Lukas not to spend too much time on this option at first.

IMHO, to begin with, the most important rule is to have the most important G'MIC filters fully implemented, with their own *GUI*,  into Krita (in order to use them easily while painting on Krita).

I suppose that, in the short term, it is unlikely for
 Lukas to have the time to port all G'MIC filters to Krita (since thare are more than 750 commands available with G'MIC....).
As a consequence, for some of these filters, at first, the users will be forced to continue to use them on Gimp (through the G'MIC plugin).

A possible plan for Lukas might be to (please, bear in mind here I am *not* a developer...):
- port the most "important" G'MIC filters to Krita 2.7 master with their own GUI (with the current QT 4.8 toolkit);
- port the other minor remaining G'MIC filters to the QT 5 back-end when everything is fully working on this future version of Krita (naturally, we are aiming to the *long* distant future here...).

Best regards,

Silvio Grosso

[0] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR1gWQBjTyU
[1] http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6207&start=20