R: Stichting Krita Foundation

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Tue Oct 23 15:49:33 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

Boudewijn Rempt  wrote:
> I've just returned from the notary for the first visit for founding the Krita Foundation

Great to know :-)

> I've given them the Blender Foundation goals as a template...

I am pretty sure the "Blender template" is a VERY good start to begin with :-)

Joking aside, Blender is very powerful and, particularly in  these past years, it has made a big progress forward.

I am not an artist and I only use Blender as a video editor.
IMHO it is amazingly powerful (not to mention it is multi-platform and highly stable both on Linux and Windows 7 - 64 bit).
Its documentation is huge (and You-Tube is your very best friend for this area).

For every open source software I consider "professional" (LibreOffice, Firefox-Thunderbird and naturally Blender) there is some sort of "Foundation" behind it which, more or less, supports its development.

I am aware some open source developers are a bit "skeptical" about a foundation (to say the least)...
Surely this is a very controversial topic :-)
Take for instance Gimp: its developers are *brilliant* (NO doubt about this) and the 2.8 release is very interesting in many respects.
Nevertheless, the Gimp development has always been pretty slow (please, don't take this as a criticism) :-(
In my view, these past years, most new features regarding Gimp have been developed during a Google Summer of Code by external "students" sponsored by Google.
If you take a look at the Gimp changelog (http://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/log/) most commits are "simple" (by simple I do NOT mean easy) bug-fixing.
This probably as a result of their undeserved lack of manpower.

Best regards,

Silvio Grosso