future of hdr colorspaces

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu May 31 10:47:59 UTC 2012

On Thu, 31 May 2012, Cyrille Berger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think LCMS2 is a better choice. Generally speaking, I would think that
> CTLCS
> is a much more interesting approach,

True, ctlcs is just so _darn_ cool!

> since it is easily allow to create
> new
> color spaces, but lets face it, how often does that happen ? While lcms2
> offers
> support for all the features we need (except "half", but maybe we can
> convince
> Marti to offer the option ?),

I asked him about that today, no answer yet, but Kai-Uwe is convinced it
wouldn't be too hard.

> with better maintainability.
> Personnaly, the future of CTL (or CTL-like) in Krita, rather than being
> the
> base of color spaces, would be to offer scripting features:
>
> For instance, to allow to write your own composite op, and people could
> write suff like:
> void my_compositeop(pixel a, pixel b, output pixel c)
> {
>  c = b / a;
> }
>
> or
> void my_compositeop(pixel a, pixel b, output pixel c)
> {
>  c.red   = a.blue * b.green;
>  c.green = a.red  * b.blue;
>  c.blue  = a.green* b.red;
> }
>
> or whatever else they want. It should be simple, and still offer good
> performance.

Yes, I think you're right. Okay, I'll spend some more time today creating
a patch for review that adds the remaining colorspaces to the lcms2
engine. I'll also see about doing f64 colorspaces, just for the heck of it
:-)

Boudewijn