ORA format: Krita support

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Tue Mar 27 08:35:02 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 09:10:43 +0200, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>
wrote:
> On Sunday 25 March 2012 Mar, silvio grosso wrote:
>> 2. Does it make sense to use, in the future, the ora format as the
>> standard Krita file when saving?
>
> No -- ora only supports 8  bit rgba images, since internally it saves
> layers as png files. There's also no support for vector layers and so
on.

Actually it also support 16bit, and rgb and greyscale.

But yes, that is the fundamental problem for Krita or Gimp to use a
standardised
format as a default format. They need more features that need to be then
properly
standardised. One solution could be to replace the .kra file format by a
file format
that derive from openraster, so that part of it might be easily opened by
other
applications.

But to fully and truly use openraster as the default format would require
a lot of standardisation
effort, but we are hit by the lack of manpower problem.

>> In other words, use the .ora format instead of the .kra one.
>> The reason for this choice would be to allow the importing of Krita
>> files easily when using other applications (e.g. Gimp, MyPaint etc).
>>
>> From what I have gathered "googling", I suppose  the Ora format is not
>> 100% "reliable" (or enough powerful) yet.
>> For instance, it looks like the Scribus developers don't support yet
>> this format for these reasons.
>
> Well, for scribus it probably wouldn't make much sense, since you'd
> typically import your finished artwork in scribus, while ora is meant to
> make it possible to work on an image with different applications, going
> back and forth.

they do import multilayer psd files ;) Apparently, it makes sense in a
pre-press workflow to be able to hide/show layers.

>> Actually, his goals are *much* more ambitious in that, judging by his
>> blog, he would like to turn Blender into a Gimp-Krita-like paint
>> application :-)

Isn't the goal of blender to replace emacs as an OS ? ;P (that said, with
the node interface, you can already do much of what Gimp can, and I
remember
hearing plans for being able to paint directly on 3D models, which would
be a really cool feature).

--
Cyrille Berger