ORA format: Krita support

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Sun Mar 25 18:56:38 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

Krita 2.4 already supports the .Ora format.

I would like to ask a two-parts question:
1. I am wondering how "good" is this support?
More precisely, does Krita support all features of the Ora format?

2. Does it make sense to use, in the future, the ora format as the standard Krita file when saving?
In other words, use the .ora format instead of the .kra one.
The reason for this choice would be to allow the importing of Krita files easily when using other applications (e.g. Gimp, MyPaint etc).

>From what I have gathered "googling", I suppose  the Ora format is not 100% "reliable" (or enough powerful) yet.
For instance, it looks like the Scribus developers don't support yet this format for these reasons.

I have been asking these questions also for another reason.
I have noticed there is an italian developer who is trying hard to collect some funds to work on the support of the ora format inside Blender:
http://ruesp83.wordpress.com/

Actually, his goals are *much* more ambitious in that, judging by his blog, he would like to turn Blender into a Gimp-Krita-like paint application :-)

Sorry for the long rant (and thanks in advance for your reply)

Best regards

Silvio Grosso