R: Krita on Windows -- the next step

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Jun 26 10:32:23 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 26 June 2012 Jun, silvio grosso wrote:
> Hi Boudewijn,
>
> Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> >  KO GmbH (that's my company) has managed to get a contract with Intel to work on a new version of Krita for Windows.
>
> This is quite simply MAGNIFICENT! :-)
>
> > The final application will officially be made available for free through Intel's AppUP store by KO GmbH.
>
> Just out of curiosity.
> What do you mean by "free"?

The Krita Sketch binaries will cost no money (that was a requirement from Intel). We will only make the "official" binaries available through appup. We cannot prevent anyone from creating binaries and offering them for download somewhere else, but I'm happy with using appup since that's a one-stop place for installers that are guaranteed virus-free.

> More precisely, will Krita code remain open source (as it is now) or it will be changed to be only "freeware" in the future?

Krita is GPL :-). Fortunately, because I'm Intel otherwise might have wanted the code to be kept closed. So all the code will go into the calligra repository, all the fixes and improvements will also be in the "regular" krita release.