Krita for KDE 3.5 clone.

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Thu Jun 14 16:06:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 16:53:44 +0200 (CEST)
Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012, Sven Langkamp wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM, john Culleton
> > <John at wexfordpress.com>wrote:
> >
> >> On my Slackware 13.37 system I run the Trinity desktop which is a
> >> clone of KDE 3.5. Among other advantages it allows me to run
> >> Quanta Plus and frees me from the Akonadi and plasma nonsense
> >> features of KDE4. However I must open a KDE4 session to run Krita.
>
> Really? I would suspect that it would be possible to run krita under
> kde 3.5 if the right libs and so are present -- at least on OpenSUSE
> it's possible to run KDE 3 apps in KDE 4, so the reverse should be
> possible as well.
>

> >> What is the most recent version of Krita that will run under KDE
> >> 3.5? (It would be nice of course if Krita was independent of KDE
> >> versions but apparently that train left the station long ago.)
> >

> > Last KDE 3 version is Krita 1.6.3, but that's lightyears behind the
> > current version so I wouldn't recommend to use that.
> >

> Trinity maintains a fork of Krita 1.6, but they renamed it when I
> asked them to, since I don't want that version of Krita associated
> with the name "Krita". I don't know what they renamed Krita to, when
> they told me they had done it, I was satisfied and lost interest.
>
> Boudewijn

> Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain Hosting
>               http://www.doteasy.com

I read some of the back and forth on the Trinity site. One point
of clarification: when the other person called KDE4 developers
"braindead" I assume he was referring to the developers
responsible for the KDE interface, akonadi, neopemuk etc. and not
application developers such as the good folks who put together
Krita. I agree with him that in general KDE4 is a disaster, slow, hard to
use, and loaded with features that simply get in the way. That
has nothing to do with the quality of Krita.

If you visit the Internet Newsgroup comp.windows.x.kde you will
find many complaints about the features of KDE4, and few if any
words of praise.

The closest thing I have to a decent yet modern GUI is Trinity.
It will run the latest versions of Scribus, Gimp, Inkscape and so
on. But not a recent version of Krita.

I have just scratched the surface of Krita and want to learn
more. At the moment I have two GUI sessions operating: on F7 I
have KDE4 and on F8 I have Trinity. Perhaps the one part of KDE4
I would praise is the ability to run another GUI in parallel. I
still have to go through all the KDE boot nonsense first, then
set up my Trinity session. But at least I can access the latest
version of all the programs mentioned and still get to Krita 2.x
at the press of an F key. And that makes me if not estatic
at least happier.

Thanks to all who responded.

--
John Culleton