HDR, color management, krita, luts and other apps

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Jun 7 09:31:06 UTC 2012

Am 07.06.12, 10:59 +0200 schrieb Boudewijn Rempt:

>>> There's existing code (in oyranos) that allows us to create a lookup
>>> texture from an icc profile, so the last transform (sRGB->monitor) can
>>> also be done in a shader.
>>
>> A colour conversion chain like the following would be rather easy:
>>
>> source colour space ->
>>  gamma + exposure ->
>>    ocio proofing colour space ->
>>      monitor colour space
>>
>> Then put the above colour transform inside a 3Dtexture and
>> attach to the OpenGL image texture through a shader. So the complete
>> conversion will run on the GPU. The shader can take additional arguments to
>> support gamma and exposore.
>>

> One interesting thing is gamma is apparently applied only after all the other
> transforms in Mari.

Basically the HDR sliders, like gamma and exposure, are meant to bring the
image values into a good visible range.

My guess is, the wrong order in Mari comes from a try to do something
about monitor colour correction.
(But that is much better done in Krita by ICC profiles IMO).

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management