Krita demo at Digital Domain London was a success.

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 23:00:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Simon Legrand <legrand.simon at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Sven Langkamp <sven.langkamp at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Simon Legrand <legrand.simon at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Oh and I almost forgot the possibility for a rather non-linear workflow.
>>> Filter layers, layer groups and a lot of the layer management features are
>>> great.
>>>
>>> As VFX artists and TDs the more we can do non-linearly the happier we
>>> are. The hard thing about what we do isn't creating cool 3D things, it's
>>> implementing the Director's changes over and over again. For this we need
>>> to 'bake' as little as possible of what we do. Hence the popular workflows
>>> of packages like Nuke and Houdini and why packages like 3dsMax and After
>>> Effects aren't really used in large studios.
>>>

>> Interesting, never thought about it that way. I remember the Krita
>> meeting where we discussed these things e.g. to using nodes instead of
>> layers. The conclusion was that great artists would get it right the first
>> time.
>>

> Lol. Wow. Hmmmyeah, that kind of statement would get you shot where I come
> from. :)

That's the point, we simply don't have that background. I'm not an artist,
so I usually depend on artists to tell me what is good or bad. It took a
lot of time to build up a group of artists that give feedback (I was
hacking on Krita for years before meeting the first artist). Until now we
didn't have input from anybody with visual effects experience.

I think over the last two years or so Krita's workflow has improved a lot
based on the feedback that we got back from the artist. The direction of
the development highly depends on the feedback that we get and so far that
was mostly from non-vfx people. Feel free to make an impact :)