Krita demo at Digital Domain London was a success.

Simon Legrand legrand.simon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 20:50:14 UTC 2012

The most successful aspect of it is that it seemed to be able to deal with
pretty large images at high bit depth natively. The next thing was the
familiar UI. People in my industry feel at home with QT as most of our
vendors use it. Also Krita has a photoshop-esque design that made everyone
feel comfortable. But it was the brush engine got the biggest wows.

Of course it was merely a preliminary demo to see if artists were willing
to put a bit of a 'bump' in their workflow (by using Krita instead of
photoshop) for the greater good. Most were and by next week I have to have
a 64bit version installed in our package manager. {Gulp}

The best thing about it was that even artists with a windows machine and
potatoshop installed in addition to their Linux box showed a definite
interest in testing Krita. I was expecting to only win over the poor sods
who only have access to Gimp, but it seemed to win over a lot more people
than I expected.

Photoshop has a lot of bells and whistles that we don't need in VFX, if
Krita focuses on performance and scalability, it will take photoshop's cake
in VFX quite easily I believe.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Sven Langkamp <sven.langkamp at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM, Simon Legrand <legrand.simon at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Last Friday I ran a Krita demo at Digital Domain London which went
>> amazingly well.
>> The feedback from the artists was along the lines of: "Wow. I didn't
>> realise it was going to be THAT good".
>>

> What feature was that? What were the favorites?

Simon Legrand
http://slegrand.blogspot.com/