Krita demo at Digital Domain London was a success.

Simon Legrand legrand.simon at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 22:14:02 UTC 2012

Last Friday I ran a Krita demo at Digital Domain London which went
amazingly well.
The feedback from the artists was along the lines of: "Wow. I didn't
realise it was going to be THAT good".
It is possible that ourselves (DD london) and many others will be moving to
centos6 in the near future. Autodesk is providing support for Maya 2013
only for Centos6 and redhat6 and up now. So if we make sure the latest and
greatest Krita is in the centos6 repos, it will be super easy for
sys-admins to get it installed. Those are KDE4 distros so I think life will
be easier.

The main questions I got from texture artists, matte painters and compers
were as follows:

Q-Can we toggle the LUT display?
A- Yes in the preferences. (I put in a request on this list today to make
it a dockable tool)

Q- Are there any automatic HDRI panorama creation tools
A- No, there are other applications for this. (However the Krita project
might be able to leverage other open source projects to implement something
like this. http://hugin.sourceforge.net/ )

Q- Does Krita have a scripting language, command line interface or python
api?
A- I replied that I was not sure. I knew Krita had a scripting feature in
previous version but I cannot find it in 2.4. Actions are supported so that
can replace (partly) this function. I was not sure about any sort of python
api or anything like this. So I replied that I was going to ask you guys.

Q- Does Krita support 3rd party filter/plugin formats?
A- I don't know. I will ask the team what kind of filter format Krita
supports.

Q- Does Krita do 3D painting?
A- No. Krita is not made to replace Mari. It is mainly a photoshop
replacement on Linux to fill the '2D painting' gap our industry has been
suffering from for years.

Q- Is there an automatic texture tiling tool similar to gimp's
texturize<http://gimp-texturize.sourceforge.net/>
?
A- Not that I know of, I will ask the Krita team.

Q- Can Krita import frame sequences?
A- Not right now. It could be an interesting Option to add. I will talk to
the team about it.

All of our Artists and TDs were very impressed. They would like to say a
big thank you to the Krita team for moving in to this territory and have
pledged to help you trouble-shoot, improve and push Krita forward with
useful feedback and bug reports, all of which will be going through myself.

Simon.

--
Simon Legrand
http://slegrand.blogspot.com/