Really missing icons in C 2.5

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun Jul 22 19:05:07 UTC 2012

Hi,

so after another review of the missing icons, where I managed to find
solutions for some (see e.g. today's small patch flood :) ), this email now
might have the final list of icons which are definitely missing for Calligra
(2.5 and surely also master).

Missing icons can be grouped into:
a) chart types
b) clef types for the music shape (+ icon for shape)
c) formula symbols
d) actions for layers
e) guide addition options
f) snap to boundingbox
g) tools
(and of course new Calligra-specific app icons are also TODO)

f) and g) are most visible, so better get cared for first.
What is your proposal how to approach these missing icons?
Go to kde-artists at kde.org and look for ambitious icon designers?
Go to krita forums and ask there?
Blog about this? "A week an icon"?
Make an icon contest?

I don't think I have the power (and fun) to continue on this, too much on my
plate, would be great if someone else could overtake here. Really :)

The only thing left for me to do is to finally merge the koIcon patch into
master the next week, so everyone can check for missing icons themselves in
the future, with ease.

Here now the complete list, with comments e.g. where to start when doing the
icons.

a) Missing Chart Types
----------------------

office-chart-surface
    plugins/chartshape/ChartConfigWidget.cpp:1550
office-chart-bubble
    plugins/chartshape/ChartConfigWidget.cpp:1547
office-chart-gantt
    plugins/chartshape/ChartConfigWidget.cpp:1553
office-chart-stock
    plugins/chartshape/ChartConfigWidget.cpp:1544
office-chart-polar-filled
    plugins/chartshape/ChartConfigWidget.cpp:301
    plugins/chartshape/ChartConfigWidget.cpp:350
    plugins/chartshape/ChartConfigWidget.cpp:407
    plugins/chartshape/ChartConfigWidget.cpp:1541

There is already a nice set of chart icons, but these types are not yet
included. Ideally the same artist does the missing one.
All existing icons are part of Oxygen icon set, see office-chart-*

b) Missing clef Types (+ icon for shape)
music-clef-bass
    plugins/musicshape/actions/SetClefAction.cpp:42
music-clef-alto
    plugins/musicshape/actions/SetClefAction.cpp:43
music-clef-trebble
    plugins/musicshape/actions/SetClefAction.cpp:41
music-clef
    plugins/musicshape/actions/SetClefAction.cpp:44
musicflake
    # icon for the Music Shape
    plugins/musicshape/MusicShapeFactory.cpp:53
musicshape
    plugins/musicshape/MusicToolFactory.cpp:33

Pinged Marijn about this, cmp. email "Missing icons in music shape"

c) Missing Formula Symbols
--------------------------
vector
    plugins/formulashape/KoFormulaTool.cpp:426
root
    plugins/formulashape/KoFormulaTool.cpp:413
bevelled
    plugins/formulashape/KoFormulaTool.cpp:419
rsubup
    plugins/formulashape/KoFormulaTool.cpp:433
gsubup
    plugins/formulashape/KoFormulaTool.cpp:439
enclosed
    plugins/formulashape/KoFormulaTool.cpp:411

>From what I can tell after my research these icons have never existed. A
request to the original author has not got an answer yet (see email "Missing
icons in the formula shape" from July 10th 2012 on calligra-devel)
Other icons are in plugins/formulashape/pics/hicolor/

d) Missing Actions for Layers
------------------------------

layer-new
    libs/kopageapp/KoPADocumentStructureDocker.cpp:117
Icon for the action to create a new layer (layer as in: layer in a stack of
layers of a document, where each layer contains a group of objects, like a
pixmap)
Krita has a "newlayer" icon (krita/pics/newlayer.png) which is similar to an
empty document.
Other than that there are no icons with a symbol for a layer yet.

edit-duplicate
    krita/plugins/extensions/dockers/defaultdockers/kis_layer_box.cpp:417
edit-merge
    krita/plugins/extensions/dockers/defaultdockers/kis_layer_box.cpp:418
Both actions are used in the context menu on a layer in the "Layers" docker of
Krita,
for the actions "Merge with Layer Below" and "Duplicate Layer or Mask".
Question is if there should be generic "edit-merge" and "edit-duplicate" icons
or
specific "layer-duplicate" and "layer-merge-with-below" icons.
Problem with "edit-duplicate" is that "edit-copy" has a similar semantic,
especially in the usual symbol,
just that implicitely this means "copy to clipboard", just that this is not
visible in the symbol.

e) Missing Guide Addition Options
-------------------------------
add-horizontal-edges
    plugins/defaultTools/guidestool/InsertGuidesToolOptionWidget.cpp:31
add-vertical-edges
    plugins/defaultTools/guidestool/InsertGuidesToolOptionWidget.cpp:32
Used in checkboxes to control if guidelines should be added at the borders of
the current page.
Oxygen has "snap-guideline" and "edit-guides" as design reference.

f) Missing Snap to Boundingbox
------------------------------
snap-boundingbox
    libs/flake/SnapGuideConfigWidget.cpp:34
Used in a checkbox to control if bounding boxes of objects should be used as
guidelines to snap to.
Oxygen has lots of "snap-" icons as reference
Very prominently missing icon in the UI!

g) Missing Tools
----------------
tool-pagelayout
    words/part/pagetool/KWPageToolFactory.cpp:33
Very prominently missing icon in the UI!

tool-changetracking
    plugins/textshape/ReviewToolFactory.cpp:36
tool-references
    plugins/textshape/ReferencesToolFactory.cpp:34
Very prominently missing icon in Words UI!

commentTool
    plugins/commentshape/CommentToolFactory.cpp:32
No idea how and where to create comment shapes and thus how to see the comment
tool.
So no idea what is needed here as icon.
Comment related icons are in Oxygen none, in Calligra:
sheets/data/toolbar/hicolor/hi16-action-comment.png
sheets/data/toolbar/hicolor/hi16-action-removecomment.png
flow/stencils/SDL/comment.png
inspector
    sheets/ui/CellToolBase.cpp:812
no real idea what the inspector is about,

Not yet fixed, but with patches pending:

window
    plan/libs/ui/reports/reportview.cpp:660
arrow_center
    krita/plugins/extensions/imagesize/dlg_canvassize.cc:282
krita_paintop_icon
    krita/ui/widgets/kis_paintop_presets_popup.cpp:92
effectimages
    karbon/plugins/tools/filterEffectTool/KarbonFilterEffectsToolFactory.cpp:33
duplicate
    braindump/src/View.cpp:193

Cheers
Friedrich