Ideas and mentors

Francisco Fernandes francisco.fernandes.j at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:17:52 UTC 2012

Hello everyone!

Francisco, any new way to paint creatively in Krita is welcome.
> Since you don't seem sure how to go about realizing this project, let
> me tell you that you can implement an effect like this with our
> infrastructure without need to add a new type of layer to support the
> particles.
>
> Our layers, as you obviously know, store the color channel of each
> pixel separately, and treats the canvas as a big group of pixels (like
> any other raster program does). If you think of the canvas as a panel
> of sand, then you can imagine that in a grayscale layer (which has
> only 2 channels fer pixel, the black-white channel and the alpha
> channel) the black-white channel represents amount of sand, and alpha
> channel is as always just alpha channel.
>
> Imagine of ways to simulate your effect using pixels as they are
> normally used in raster programs. If you can do it this way, you don't
> need to create new types of layers and you can make your brush work
> with nothing more than a new brush engine.

That's seens very nice! I will think of ways to use your idea to emulate
this effect.
I'm still looking for papers with similar effects, but I believe that most
will use some
gaussian noise and gradient in the direction of the movement of the mouse
to emulate
the spread of the sand, although I think some experiments will be needed
first.

> If you plan to do a new brush engine, you can begin exploring, as I
> told you in another e-mail, with the fine empty brush made by a
> Code-In student in 2011, and if you decide to participate in GSoC with
> your brush engine, I can mentor you.
>
> If you have any particular doubt or if you want to do some exploration
> work before going full into GSoC, feel free to ask in this mailing
> list, or even login to IRC, you can enter to #Krita in
> irc.freenode.net, we're a friendly group.
> If you want online assistance you can find me online in the afternoons
> around 3 to 9 PM in GMT -3 time (Chilean time). (I'm Pentalis in IRC).

I'm already trying to do some random things in the code-in paintop
template, although
I didn't accomplished anything yet. I'll try to show up in the IRC channel
today so we
can discuss this better. :D

> Good luck and hope to see you around!  =)

Thanks! :)

Yes, it's a pretty cool idea and since we try to have at least one very
> experimental gsoc project, it could fit very well. There might be technical
> trouble in store, though, since it's not very easy to use the gpu to work
> with krita image data. But do not let that deter you!

My laptop doesns't have one GPU, but I have access to a computer with a
nvidia graphical card
in my university. Perhaps I can try the knowledge base
tutorial<http://community.kde.org/Krita/OpenCL_knowledgebase>s
there. I believe that will reduce
the gap before the real project begins. :)

Anyway, thanks for the reply! Any news about the idea I'll post
here in the mailing list.

See you around!

Att.

Francisco Fernandes (AKA: Chicao)
Blog: http://pedepinico.blogspot.com
Identi.ca: http://identi.ca/chicao
Twitter: http://twitter.com/__chicao
"Quem de boa vontade carrega o difícil, também carrega o menos difícil..."
Lao Tsé - Tao Te Ching