R: new sketch installer (9.38)...

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Sat Dec 1 15:01:13 UTC 2012

Hi Boud,

I have just installed Krita Sketch 0.9.38

Here is my hardware:
Asus  X53S
Windows 7 - home premium 64 bit (6.1, build 7601)
Intel core i7 2630QM 2Ghz (8 CPUs) - Sandy Bridge
RAM 8192MB
NVIDIA GEFORCE CARD  GT 540M - CUDA 1Gb

Krita Sketch 0.9.38 is installed on:
C:\Program Files (x86)\KritaSketch\"

Here are some very random remarks:

1. I have noticed you have shrinked the installer size  to download (now it is smaller than 70 Mb): great!
Even the final installed Krita Sketch 9.38 size is smaller :-)

2. Krita Sketch 9.38 does not ask you to reboot your pc after having installed it: great!

3. I do not get anymore any crash while opening more jpg images on the row: great!
To this testing, I have tried also Krita Sketch 9.38 on a Windows xp virtual machine (via vbox).
Unfortunately, quite on random, sometimes Krita Sketch is unable to open no matter what image.
It looks like a "loop" in that every time I open a new jpg image I am moved to the beginning (the jpg is not opened....).

I have recorded a short video to show this:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3095134/KRITA_SKECTH_9.39_OPEN_IMAGE_LOOP.avi

4. At present, I do not get any crash while painting with some presets (basic erase, basic soft, basic mix)
In short, all previous crash are gone for good :-)
I have noticed you do not ship anymore some "problematic" presets (e.g. Hatch diag S)
To this testing, I have tried also Krita 9.38 on a Windows xp virtual machine (via vbox).

5. Selections are *quite* slow to apply: for instance, it takes ages to increase their size... :-(
On the contrary, zoom in-out looks fast :-)

6. In the tools options some captions are really hard to read.
Their fonts is not enough visible on my display: e.g. Opacity, threshold etc
At first, I even thought their options were "grayed out" because you could *not* use them...

7. I got many "tiles" while painting (although this is a *minor* disturbance it is a bit distracting).
I am a bit surprised about this "tiling" effect since my hardware is supposed to be pretty powerful...

Maybe, on some tablets hardware, this "tiling" might be a problem.
For instance, the upcoming Cpu Intel - Microsoft 8 surface Pro tablet should be powerful enough (it has a good Cpu).
On the contrary, I suppose the  Cpu Arm - Microsoft RT tablet might have some performance issues...
Off topic, about this last Microsoft Rt tablet, I have read some very bad reviews.
E.g.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQhhtvuZwVg   :-)
As of today, in my view, I think Apple tablets are still unmatched (even though I am an Android supporter) :-)

I have recorded a short video where you can visualize the font glitch (point 6) and these tiles (point 7) when painting:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3095134/KRITA_SKETCH_9.38_TOOL_FONTS_TILES.avi

8. I got only one crash (which I was *unable* to reproduce later): create a selection > tools > gradient > crash

9. Once in a while, Krita Sketch 9.38 freezes my computer (for 5-6 seconds everything is unreponsive) when I launch it.

10. When you *double-click* very fast on a folder (to open it) Krita Sketch opens an image on random (of this folder).
On the contrary, if you click once on the folder (to open it) you are allowed to choose the image to open in the folder :-)
I suppose this occurs because on tablets you are not supposed to double-click with your finger...

To sum up, this new 9.38 installer looks good! :-)

THANKS a lot for your excellent work on it! :-)

Best regards,

Silvio Grosso