Beta 2 tagging delay

Cyrille Berger Skott cberger at cberger.net
Wed Sep 28 09:09:27 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 28 September 2011, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 September 2011 Sep, Cyrille Berger Skott wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I generally oppose the idea of delaying a beta for quality reason, there
> > is always an important bug that is going to be fixed the next day of the
> > tagging.
>
> Of course. Let's make it more generic then: I propose that we will tag in
> future always on Monday, not Friday, because the weekend is when most
> people have time to work on fixing things and preparing for tagging.
And that is exactly why we tag on Friday :) So that packagers have time to
work on their packages during the week-end...

And really, missing a beta is not a big deal, there is an other beta coming in
three weeks. Unless you break your application... but that *should* *not*
happen.

> > On Tuesday 27 September 2011, Sven Langkamp wrote:
> > > the recent merge of the strokes framework branch has introduce a number
> > > of problems in Krita.
> >
> > I guess by recent, you mean since the begining of the beta period ? In
> > which case, can I ask why something that break krita to point of making
> > it totally unusable was merged before the issues get solved ?
>
> I made that decision. We needed the merge because other people were waiting
> with their bugfixes for the merge to happen.
git checkout -b krita-fixyourbugshere
sendmail kimageshop at kde.org "For the time being use the 'krita-fixyourbugshere'
branch to collectively fix your bugs so that we don't break master too much"

And then you can merge all sort of things in "krita-fixyourbugshere", without
affecting master. Branches in git are *cheap*, for everyone. And if all the
krita devs are working on that branch, you should not get conflicts when
merging back to master.

If we really want to move to a more agressive release schedule (ie 3 or 4
monthes), we need to make the best out of git features.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott