Painting on selections and selection masks

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 18:31:37 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Friday 28 October 2011 Oct, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:
> > Cyrille, is it possible to have a composite op which has different source
> > and destination colorspaces?
>
> colorspaces can convert the pixels from another colorspace to their own
> before doing composition, but for painting on masks that's not currently
> useful since we generate dabs in the target colorspace anyway.

Well, the colorspace of a dab is really not a problem, i guess. A node can
have both paintDevice() and dabColorSpace() methods. And tools can use the
latter one to create a dab of a proper colorspace.

> The real issue is not the conversion, but that krita cannot handle
> colorspaces without an alpha channel -- or colorspaces with alpha
> pre-multiplied, which this would be, I guess. This is, I think, a limitation
> that permeates Krita everywhere.

Well, if we decide to have different colorspaces for a dab and a paint
device then we will avoid this limitation.

> For 2.4, it's certainly not something I see feasible to implement. Nor am I
> confident it would be a good idea: it was a conscious design decision back
> then. It's why we always have cmyka, never just cmyk.

I'm sure we shouldn't hurry with such decisions. Especially, after we have
released several betas.

--
Dmitry Kazakov