Features changelog for Calligra 2.4 Beta

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 00:20:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Monday 05 September 2011 Sep, Sven Langkamp wrote:

> than
> > > 2.3 is the coolest thing? I think that, comparing a running 2.3 and
> 2.4, the
> > > brush preset editor/preset docker is maybe the most important for the
> users.
> > > Any other suggestions?
> > > >

> > > In between 2.3 and 2.4 was a lot of stuff done, so I think we should
> > > make a list and then decide
> > >
> > > Sven:
> > > - The mypaint brush engine is a pretty huge feature since you can now
> > > use a lot of mypaint brushes.
> > >

> > MyPaint paintop isn't finished and still too slow so it won't be in 2.4.
>
> Aw, that's a pity! I am really tempted to leave it in, as an experimental
> feature. And with some mypaint brushes it's quite usable already -- do you
> have any idea of what the current bottlenecks are?

I did now run the mypaintop through vtune, which allows to profile while
painting. Turns out there is one major bottleneck and that is
KoColorSpace::convertPixelsTo. That's used because the paintop works in the
MyPaint pixel format, so we convert into the MyPaint format and back (in
MyPaintSurface). The function is much much more expensive than anything else
and we need to find a way to avoid it if we want a functional MyPaint
paintop.