Krita 2.4 (b3): problems with "Text-Shape" tool

silvio grosso grossosilvio at yahoo.it
Tue Nov 1 19:25:42 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I have been testing the Text-Shape tool lately.
The one you get inside the Add Shape group. Not the "Artistic text tool" on the tool bar.

As usual I work on Krita 2.4 (b3).  Ubuntu1.10 - Unity Shell

IMHO, it is really "problematic" to add a text-shape tool on the canvas right now.
This to say the least...

I suppose there are a few bug reports about this tool because most artists don't use it.
They usually sign their picture with their Wacom tablet ;-)

In essence:
1. First up, this text-shape tool is a bit too much "buried" in my view.
It may be difficult to even discover there is such tool for Krita :-(
Maybe it should go on the tool bar (as occurs with other similar softwares): but I suppose it is not easy to move only it...

2. When you select this text option, a new layer opens up (which is ok).
Unfortunately, later, I always end up in having "many" difficulties to write something on the canvas :-(
Quite often, a different shape pops up and my text is not inserted.
This occurs quite randomly.
There is not a pattern: sometimes I insert my text very quickly by doing the same steps....

3. On top of this, this text-shape tool is *very* prone to crash Krita 2.4 (b3).
This occured with the previous versions as well.
I have already filled some crash reports on the Kde tracker :-)

Please, don't take these points as a criticism, because they are not :-)

I think Krita 2.4 is very very powerful now!
In short, it is just normal there are many things to sort out :-)
Photoshop is more than 20 years old now...
There are not many open source softwares as powerful as Krita 2.4

I have just read a great review by David Revoy and I totally agree wih him:
http://www.davidrevoy.com/index.php?article98/krita-2-4-beta-screenshots-features-and-ppa

Best regards and keep up your magnificent work

Silvio Grosso