About the positioning of the new Presets Strip and Buttons

Elián Hanisch lambdae2 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 17:11:19 CEST 2011

On Domingo 05 Junio 2011 10:34:36 Sven Langkamp escribió:
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 9:13 AM, JL VT <pentalis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've created two purely temporary branches so people can give their
> > thoughts on the positioning of the buttons and the strip for presets
> > before they are merged into main.
> > The branches are:
> >
> > krita-improvedpresetcreation2-pentalis
> > krita-improvedpresetcreation3-pentalis
> >
> > Currently the Remove button doesn't work, it is there only for display.
> >
> > The changes only happen in /calligra/krita/ui  so you don't need to
> > recompile everything.
> >
> > Branch 2:
> > ----Strip----
> > ----Brush options----
> > ----Buttons----
> >
> > Branch 3:
> > ----Buttons----
> > ----Brush options----
> > ----Strip----
> >
> > The original branch, Branch 1, had:
> > ----Buttons---Strip----
> > ---Brush options----
> >
> > I know that Branch 1 had an excellent flow (I tested it while painting
> > for 2 hours), but it didn't look as good as Branch 3.
> > Branch 2, in my opinion, looks awful, so it's basically discarded for me.
> >
> > Between Branch 3 and Branch 1, I don't know what to choose.
> >
> > Included here are screenshots so you don't have to pull the branches and
> > compile (unless you want to).
>
> The default preset button really should be in the bottom left corner (like
> in branch 2), that KDE standard and used in other places in Krita too.
>
> I also think that the remove button isn't placed very logical, it should be
> together with the list and not with the save button. Choosing a preset only
> sets the values in the settings, but you are not working in the preset you
> choose. In my opinion it would be better to put on the right side of the
> preset list and use just an icon like in the other choosers.
>
> I would prefer branch 3 with default and remove button at the bottom. For
> me at would be the most logical seperation between preset management and
> the editing of the paintop settings.

ok then like the mockup I made but everything at the bottom

----Brush options----
----Strip----
----Buttons----

The remove button couldn't be a red (-) or (x) icon that would show when
leaving the mouse over the preset? sort of like the plus/minus icons when
selecting images in gwenview (dunno if that's possible)

couldn't make a new mock-up cause krita keep locking up for some reason :(
I'm re-compiling now.
--
~ m4v
https://launchpad.net/~m4v