Speed of Krita 2.4

JL VT pentalis at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 13:31:31 CEST 2011

Oops, I went to sleep and forgot to send this e-mail... but prepare for
something funny.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Lukast dev <lukast.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Use valgrind for your mentioned use case in which it is slow and
> attach the valgrind log.

<old e-mail>
After over 15 minutes tracing lines in Krita, here are the Valgrind logs (~1
minute per line in Krita 2.4)

I traced 15 diagonal lines in Krita 2.3 and Krita 2.4 in a 1200x1200 16-bit
RGBA canvas.
I used a 5.7 px pixel brush.

callgrind.out.30414 = Krita 2.3
callgrind.out.30664 = Krita 2.4

http://pentalis.org/Callgrind_Krita_2.3_vs_2.4.zip
</old e-mail>

Hhhm... I couldn't help but notice a huge amount of calls to debug classes
in the 2.4 callgrind log. So I went and compiled it with the Release flag
instead of Debug. _HUGE_ difference, huge. So huge that I feel silly even
for writing this e-mail   =)    now Krita feels close to the same speed as
2.3.   (And then, after that, I saw DmitryK's e-mail warning me of the same,
ugh, silly me).

So I've been using the Debug build all this time, because I like to catch
asserts and have full backtracks, now I think I should compile a KritaDevs
build for that instead.
I'm not sure if the steady decline in speed that I've noticed in Debug means
anything for Krita Release, because I used to paint with a Debug build just
fine, and now it's almost unusable, but I'm going to find out!.

Thanks everyone for your advice on profiling, those all were things I didn't
know and I'll put them to good use.

Though, now that I have an actually usable Krita, I feel a huge itching need
to paint... which I'm going to sate now.

Best Regards,
(And my apologies for the silly mistake!).
~Pentalis.