KDE 4.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Jul 21 16:53:41 CEST 2011

On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 05:26:53 pm Silvio Grosso
wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> John Culleton wrote:
> >My advice to Lydia, whomever she may be, is to find a
way

> to make KDE apps run without Amorak.
>
> I have never tried Amarok.
> On the other hand, I have always read it is very
powerful.

> This month, on a Linux Italian magazine (Linux pro:
> http://www.sprea.it/scheda.php?id_riv=42) I have read a
very thorough
> comparison.
> It was about a set of Linux Music players.
>
> To start with, the writer pointed out Amarok very great
set of features.
> But, in the end, the biggest criticism against Amarok
regarded its Gui.
> According to this magazine it is still too much
difficult to work with
> Amarok.
> For the record, the winner of this review has been
Banshee :-)

> In my view, the biggest problem about many Kde softwares
is that they don't
> have a big Company which supports them...
> They usually have a very great set of features (thanks
to the Qt toolkit
> which attracts many developers).
> Unfortunately, this richness is both their force and
their problem.
> Having many features means they are often buggy or not
enough documented.

> In the end, for every open source software, it is
beneficial to have some
> big Company which supports them :-)
> E.g. LibreOffice - Novell; Ubuntu - Canonical; Blender -
Blender
> Foundation.
>
> Microsoft has loads of full-time: developers, Gui
designers, folks who
> write documentation, sales representitives etc
>
> In my opinion, another problem about Kde softwares is
that it is often very
> difficult to port them on Windows and Mac :-)
> Yep. I am aware I *should* try them on KDE :-)
> But if you think about Gimp, Inkscape, MyPaint, Scribus
etc (all of them
> cross-platform) you know what I mean.
>
> P.s: I am always amazed about many Kde softwares :-)
> It is incredible to have software such as K3B, Digikam,
Kdenlive and of
> course Krita for free.
> Most of them didn't have a Company which supported their
development and
> yet they are surprisingly powerful :-)
>
> KUDOS to all their VERY talented developers!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Silvio

I meant to orate against Akonadi, not Amorak. My momentary
brain mailfunction.

I am an utter fan of Open Source software. But when KDE
went from KDE 3.5 to KDE 4.x the wheels came off the cart.
Quite simply KDE4 is a mess.

All but one of my favorite apps also followed suit, at
least to the point that they used Qt4. So I didn't have
much choice if I wished to keep up with the latest apps.
Krita is a good example. I use Krita 2.3.3. That is what
comes with Slackware 13.37. Other apps, like Scribus or
Gimp, are not married to KDE so that I can upgrade them
as needed from svn and nightly if useful. AFAIK Krita
doesn't offer me that degree of independence. You have to
upgrade the entire KDE package, a huge undertaking.

I am of course also totally grateful to those who develop
FOSS for the rest of us. I try to spur them on to bigger
and better things of course. But hopefully I never show
ingratitude.

--
John Culleton

"Death Wore Black" Police procedural: