[Mypaint-discuss] [CREATE] Multiple viewports (for MyPaint, but Gimp/Krita/whoever too?)

David REVOY davidrevoy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 16:38:00 CEST 2011

On 21/07/11 14:50, Ben O'Steen wrote:
> David,
>
> Not to distract from this thread too much, but can you say more about
> what you'd like about a self-contained palette? I've been working on
> something like that for a few days:
>
> http://www.vimeo.com/26586840  -- shows the more complex one showing
> all the different file-saving methods.

O_o  wow, that's exactly the kind of palette/scratchpad I'm looking for
in Mypaint since the old palette panel of Portnov branch , just a
scratchpad to pick & paint ( or 'pick context' ) brush. Cool , it looks
already a very good feature. I will test your branch Asap.

The goal for me, would be to can save an *.ora in relation with a
scratchpad. It mean make this scratchpad open at the same time I load a
*.ora related to it. As Andrew said on the first email : /"The imagined
use case for this is that users like to continue work immediately where
they left off when re-opening a saved work on a later date"/ and it's
really so true when you handle multiple project. In a second time, I
also would like to can use a previous created scratchpad ( ex:  my
comics color palette ) to a new document, or a opened line-art.
Of course , I saw in your videos the arrows to switch easily between
saved scratchpad. I think it's already really user-friendly. But to
continue on the *.ora discution and possibilities  ... :

  I can imagine 2 way :

#1 - *Embeded* : Save the scratchpad as a separate layer -for exemple- ;
with a constant layer name ID saved in the *.ora files as hidden and
make mypaint recognise by this ID while opening as a separate
informations to display in the scratchpad only.

_Pros:_
A file can be reopened under a 2nd PC with Mypaint and keep the same
scratchpad
The scratchpad can be used on other apps , the layer can be opened as a
regular layer by Gimp/Krita ( on the top, a hidden layer, with the ID
name to respect = not rename )

_Cons :_
Gimp / Krita resaving will crunch some of the scratchpad info (stroke
map )... but it's ok.
File weight, a bit more of infos are in the file.
Can't share the same scratchpad to another drawing/project without
adding another feature as 'open as file as scratchpad'.

#2 - *External* Save only the 'path' to the saved scratchpad inside the
*.ora as a txt info ( surely a path inside .mypaint user preference ,
like for brushes ) . With this Mypaint can load it at the same time of a
related *.ora. It's my favorite design :) I also think the reference
docker of Silvio Heinrich in Krita should store the ref picture this way
inside *.kra and *.ora. The dream would be the two apps use a path
compatible (^ u ^)

_Pros:_
File weight, no embeded scratchpad, no possible bad interaction with
other *.ora compatible apps.
Sharing same palette/scratchpad within multiple project is possible ; as
scratchpad are saved independantly.
Can share scratchpad for users , edit them etc ... as brushes ....

_Cons_
Path to the scratchpad can get crunched while resaving the *.ora by
other apps ?
Have to share the ~/.mypaint pref to another PC to work on the file (
dialog 'path to the scratchpad missing!' ) ; but this is ok , imo.