Krita 2.4 on Windows: pros and cons

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 02:42:14 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Ramón Miranda <mirandagraphic at gmail.com>wrote:

> Interesting Question Silvio. i am not going to detailt my thoughts too
> much. I honestly think Krita is not ready for Windows for now at least on
> unstable release . It has a lot of bugs (like others apps ) and windows
> users tends to be not to much pattient with software. I know by my
> experience with Gimp on the company that i was working. if Krita crash in my
> house (nothing happens, well i scream thats all) but if Krita Goes windows,
> for sure will crash too and a windows user accept 1 or 2 crashes. Then "this
> app is a shit" thats it, so rude. maybe they don ´t really care the effort
> we put in Krita, or if they are using the STABLE or UNSTABLE release.. Linux
> users are less but more pattience and they usually report bugs. it is
> another philosophy. so i agree with Cyrille "social problem" the way people
> learn computers things.
> But i have to be honest, and that makes me think too, I learn Open source
> by windows apps. i began with Gimp., then Mypaint, and finally enter to
> Krita when i installed Ubuntu. so the chain would be broken if there is no
> WIndows Gimp release or mypaint. So how many users ,would be lost with no
> Windows release ? i dont know.
>
> My simple answer is NO, we are not ready. for this year. but the next year
> things could be absolutly different because nowadays Krita has the biggest
> potential in important fields like Brushes, color selection, bit depth and
> amount of Devs

If we wait for the "ready" state, we would never release a windows version.
At some point a Windows testing release will have to be done and that will
have crashes. Of course there could be some kind of closed beta, which would
be a bit strange for an open source project. We could keep the application
in alpha or beta state for a long time (probably better alpha as Google
already overused beta).

The "this app is a shit" comments will be made anyway. They will be
comparing Krita with Photoshop or Gimp and bring up features that we don't
have. The alpha/beta sign should be warning enough.