Krita 2.4 on Windows: pros and cons

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jul 18 19:37:35 CEST 2011

On Monday 18 July 2011 Jul, silvio grosso wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Sorry for the weird title of my message but it explains what I am about  to write :-)
>
> In short, yesterday, I have read a really *interesting* Blog from a Darktable's developer.
> Here it is:
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/wordpress/darktable/2011/07/17/that-other-os/
>
> This Blog is about the pros and cons of releasing a brand-new version for  Windows.
> In this case,  Darktable (http://darktable.sourceforge.net/)
>
> Many of the points raised by the Darktable's developer might apply to Krita as well.
> As a consequence, I have boldly  thought to write this message as a "reminder" of them :-)
>
> BTW, I have even replied to this developer myself by adding a comment to his blog ;-)

I read the blog... And I agree with you: I don't think that supporting Windows was the worst mistake the Gimp team made -- though I'm sure that the influx of all the Windows users was a problem sometimes. We're going to go about it in a different way, though, with a build server that creates nightly builds for windows, runs the unittests and so on.

I think a lot depends on the stage the project is in -- and I think Krita has reached the right stage :-)