bugs found when painting

Silvio Heinrich plassy at web.de
Thu Jul 14 14:22:50 CEST 2011

On 07/13/2011 07:59 PM, Sven Langkamp wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org
> <mailto:boud at valdyas.org>> wrote:
>
>     I tried to paint today, and it was still quite painful, and not
>     just because my digital painting skills suck, it's because we've
>     got quite a few bugs left. Here's a few that I found, and that
>     Ramon Miranda noticed on irc today...
>
>     brush editor/paintop popup
>
>     * when changing paintop in the popup the name of the preset should
>     be cleared
>
> Fixed that locally. Will commit soon.

Uff... sorry I reverted your commit. It makes everything worse instead
of better.
I think you haven't tested it with a tablet because every time I switch
to the mouse or the eraser of the pen the preset name and the scratchpad
is cleared.
I see no point in clearing the name and the scratchpad automatically,
the user can clear it by himself if he want.
And the current behavior has two really bad drawbacks, thats why I
reverted it.

1. The original intention to have the name of the last loaded preset in
the edit field was to get a fast work flow with the presets. It's maybe
not obvious anymore because the most people here already have the
presets they normally work with but any newcomer who wants to create his
own presets will likely work like this:
load a preset -> paint a bit -> adjust the preset settings a bit -> save
preset -> paint a bit -> adjust the preset settings a bit -> save preset
-> paint a bit -> and so on -> and so on.
When the name is cleared every time while painting it is likely to slow
down the workflow and annoy the user because he has to retype the name
again all the time (especially annoying with long names).

2. Kind of the same problem for the scratch pad plus one addition. It is
a lot harder to make icons for the presets now. For example if you want
to make a preset for an other paintop as the pixel brush and want to
write something something in the box it was possible to switch to the
pixel brush write in the box and go back to the paintop you wanted to
save and save it. This don't work anymore because the scratchpad is cleared.

This is why I think that the scratchpad and the preset name should only
be cleared explicitly by the user with the only exception when you load
a saved preset.
Than it should overwrite the name in the edit field and the icon box in
the scratch pad.