bugs found when painting

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jul 13 16:30:37 CEST 2011

I tried to paint today, and it was still quite painful, and not just because my digital painting skills suck, it's because we've got quite a few bugs left. Here's a few that I found, and that Ramon Miranda noticed on irc today...

brush editor/paintop popup

* when changing paintop in the popup the name of the preset should be cleared
* the preset name edit field is always red, which is scary
* there should be a confirmation for deleting a paintop
* the add-preset-to-quick-palette box should have the toggle to show preset details instead of just the icons

layerbox

* still too easy to paint on a locked layer* with the color smudge brush, I saw the missing tiles bug. Since this bug has always been reported for the color smudge brush, I suspect it's something in there. See http://www.valdyas.org/~boud/krita_hole.png
* moving a duplicated group layer leads to a crash (looking into this)
* sometimes no layer at all is actually selected

Painting

* with the color smudge brush, I saw the missing tiles bug. Since this bug has always been reported for the color smudge brush, I suspect it's something in there. See http://www.valdyas.org/~boud/krita_hole.png
* I couldn't get the color smudge to smudge only the current layer; disabling the overlay mode seemed to break the brush
* the big texture brush deevad prepared is way too slow to paint with
* it's really, really hard to get a good, sharp eraser. Just switching the end of the stylus doesn't cut it anymore.

canvas

* we need to reinstate the fullscreen function and have it separate from the canvas-only function. Currently, there's no fullscreen anymore, and canvas-only doesn't do fullscreen. But I still want one shortcut to go fullscreen + canvas only...
* I could lose the image completely by using the zoom tool. Sometimes the pan shortcut only worked when clicking, sometimes when hovering

presets

* the png export filter needs to show .kpp as an extension

brush editor (toolbar + canvas)

* the brush outline is often useless for complicated brush shapes: in those cases we should have a simplified outline
* the size of the brush outline is sort of irrelevant to what will be painted
* resizing the brush with stylus + shift is very hard: it tends to cycle -- I would go from 10 to 5, then it would go to 0, back to ten on lifting the stylus
* resizing the brush with the size slider on the toolbar with the stylus is very hard: it tends to reset itself as well. Click with stylus + type a number doesn't seem to work either, nor do the up/down buttons.

All in all, a nice crop of TODO's, but not much painting done :-)