Patch: Many composite/blend modes mostly compatible to Adobe Photoshop (c)

Silvio Heinrich plassy at web.de
Sat Jan 29 17:56:26 CET 2011

On 01/29/2011 04:30 PM, David REVOY wrote:

>> @Silvio Heinrich : if gimp really uses just HSV then it is not really
>> superior.
> Oh, I really don't know nothing about how and why color modes prefer
> use HSV or HSL luma , I'm just a digital painter user. The only
> feedback I can give are with pictures like the previous mail :-)
> Btw, you are right , my use of 'superior' word needs to be explain :
> the color mode in Photoshop ( I used it for years too) don't work
> nicely with yellow/orange tones painting over gray. You obtain only a
> muddy green/yellowish tones. That's why I called the Gimp one
> 'superior' ; because if you use it as a painter to recolor a part and
> like to use yellow or orange ; the Gimp one will be more efficient for
> this case. That's why I always prefered the way Gimp handle it than
> Photoshop.
> Just to defend that the two way are usefull :) and I agree and like if
> you planed to support more then one color model. Good way !  and
> thanks for the link.
>

> --David
Hmm... this muddy yellowish tone is actually dark yellow i would say :D.
I don't want to annoy you but i just did a little speedpainting (just a
hour or so, nothing fancy) in value (grayscale)
and then colored it in yellow with HSL (left) and HSV (right).
I think one can see that the left side preserves the lightness of the
image much better then the right side.
This is the reason why the photoshop way is usually preferred.
I know that many of the really great artists paint in value first (to
get the contrast between light and dark right at the start) and then
they add color. Since i used gimp for years this didn't really work for
me because the HSV coloring changes the lightness too much...
It's funny that you actually were annoyed by photoshop and went to gimp.
In contrary i was so annoyed after years of using gimp that i wanted to
switch to photoshop ^__^ but then i found krita :D