Tool(box) organization

Adam C. nospam at xibo.at
Wed Jan 19 13:34:01 CET 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:37:04 +0100, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>
wrote:

> On Wednesday 19 January 2011, Sven Langkamp wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>
>> wrote:

>> > calligra-devel

>> Krita
>> > tools
>> created by
>> >
>> > Hm.... why not, actually?
>> >

>> Shape layers are saved as ODF which doesn't support filter effects. In
>> Karbon it's the same, filter effects are only saved to SVG and not to
>> ODF.
>>

> Sounds like we either need to save as svg -- or work with Jan to add
> filters as a kind of private extension to ODG.

as far as i can see, you can't edit a path drawn by the krita path tool.
imo this is a big drawback. currently we lack a possibility to draw a path
with a paintop, right?

>> > What I would prefer is have the tools with actual krita functionality
>> > replace the flake tools but be in the same position. So the krita
>> path tool
>> > goes in the place of the flake path tool etc. That way, there's
>> consistency
>> > with the rest of the suite. Or that the flake tools get a kind of
>> plugin
>> > mechanism, which would mean our krita-specific functionality gets
>> added to
>> > the tool, and we don't need the krita tools
>> anymore.<https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kimageshop>

this sounds very good to me. it would be also consistent with rect,
ellipse, line.. tools.

>> Default tool stays the same as it's used on both layer types.
what's the use of default tool in pixel mode? as far as i can tell, the
default tool selects shapes, so it should replace the pixel selection
tools.

>> To be consistent to Krita the path and caligraphy tool would have to be
>> paintops.
why should the path tool be a paintop?
i agree, that calligraphy should be, but i don't see a reasonable way to
implement that. you would also have to implement presets for calligraphy,
integrate it into paintop settings, switch layers, add flake to the
paintop testing area.. probably it would need even some work on flake, but
it would be definitely a cool feature (especially if it also works for
karbon).

> Well, use paintops, I think.
>
>> Flake path tool is already obsolete, we just need the code to blacklist
>> it.
as already stated abouth, imo it's not true.
>> Flake pattern and gradient tool don't really match to any Krita tool.
the flake pattern and gradient tools don't work here in krita, but they
have a mapping to krita gradient and fill tool. the usage is a little bit
different though..