Tool(box) organization

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 01:25:56 CET 2011

Hi,

I have been thinking about a better organization of the toolbox. Since Boud
didn't like my first proposal I'm putting it for discussion.

The problem:
Currently the first eight tools in the toolbox are flake tools. The are more
of less useful for work in Krita, but are in general secondary functionality
for Krita. So the question is how the tools should be organize to give fast
access to the common tools.

Possible solutions that I have thought of so far:

-put those tools at the bottom of the toolbox as proposed on calligra-devel

-cut some of the flake tools and put the functionality into the Krita tools
There are some tools that have very little value for Krita like the
connection tool or filter effect tool (we can't save filters created by
that). The path tool basically has the same stuff the Krita path tool has.
That would leave five tools (Default, freehand, pattern, gradient,
calligraphy).

-show and hide tools based on the active layer
This would hide all tools that are not compatible with a certain layer and
show the tools that are. So it would show the Krita gradient tool on a paint
layer and the flake gradient tool on a shape layer. Problem here is that is
can cause some toolbox buttons to shift e.g in the second group the freehand
tool isn't capable of drawing on a shape layer so every tool would shift by
one position. One possible solution could be to do some clever arrangement
so that the hidden tools would appear in the gaps left by the hidden Krita
tools, so the flake freehand tool would show up where the Krita freehand
tool was.
I think the disadvantage of this is that it might not too obvious when
something switched. (I also thought of vector paintops, but I'm not sure
that is worth the effort)

Of course these three could also be combined.

Sven